Search Products:
View Recent: Products (0) Brands (0)

Silver Jewelry

What's great about silver jewelry is that it can match and compliment any type of outfit, so you can wear it with a gown during formal occasions or even with simple jeans and shirt during a casual stroll around the park. Silver especially looks good on dark colors, since the luster of silver makes it shine through. Moreover, silver can be partnered with other gemstones, such as turquoise, amethyst, and diamond.

But this does not mean that silver cannot stand alone. In fact, there are a lot of bracelets, necklaces, and earrings available in the market that are made of sheer silver, and these are enough to make one transform from drab to fab. Aside from jewelry, silver can also be used in a number of different things, such as dental fillings, mirrors, coins, and even medicine.

Types of Silver Used for Jewelry Natural silver in itself cannot be made into jewelry, for it is too soft. In order to create beautiful silver jewelry, silver must be combined with other elements to strengthen it and make it durable for jewelry.

One type of silver jewelry is pure silver, which exudes a brilliant metallic luster. Natural silver is just 999/1000 pure, which makes it too soft for molding into jewelry. This is in contrast with pure silver, which is even a little harder than gold, making it a malleable and ductile metal. Pure silver jewelry can resist tarnishing when exposed to water or air, but not when it is exposed to sulfur or ozone.

Sterling silver jewelry is perhaps the most marketable type of silver jewelry, not just because of its sheen but also because of its beautiful craftsmanship. It is composed of 90% pure silver, and the other 10% are alloys that can add strength and durability. Copper is one element that is usually mixed with sterling. Most high-quality silver jewelry are made from sterling silver. To ensure that it is authentic sterling silver, look for the “925” engraving at the backside or inside of a silver jewelry piece. One nice thing about sterling silver is that it never fades, unlike other types of silver, such as silver plating.

German or nickel silver jewelry is composed of copper, zinc, and nickel, and exudes a silvery white luster. Occasionally, lead and tin are also used to create nickel silver jewelry. However, a lot of people are allergic to nickel, that is why this type of silver jewelry is not as popular as sterling silver. What makes it good for jewelry-making is that it is considerably tougher than other silver types.

As mentioned above, silver can also be mixed with other gemstones to enhance its beauty. Silver gemstone jewelries are also popular choices for jewelry aficionados. Some examples of precious and semi-precious stones that can be partnered to silver are emerald, amethyst, ruby, jade, pearl and sapphire. Aside from these real gemstones, artificial or synthetic gems can also be used.

Lastly, oxidized silver jewelry is said to be the most popularly worn jewelry in the world. It gives out a white metallic luster, which makes it more versatile than the bright luster of other silver jewelry.

Taking Care of Your Silver Jewelry Since silver jewelries are prone to dullness, you must know how to take proper care of your jewelry to avoid losing its metallic sheen. Simple measures, such as removing your jewelry to avoid contact with other harsh chemicals, can help your silver jewelry achieve timelessness. Also, proper storage is essential so as to slow down oxidation, which is the main cause why silver loses its luster.